[gmx-users] Building Single and Double Precision in 4.6.1?

Szilárd Páll szilard.pall at cbr.su.se
Thu Apr 18 19:14:54 CEST 2013

On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 6:17 PM, Mike Hanby <mhanby at uab.edu> wrote:
> Thanks for the reply, so the next question, after I finish building single precision non parallel, is there an efficient way to kick off the double precision build, then the single precision mpi and so on?
>
> Or do I need to delete everything from my build directory before running cmake again?

Well, most setting can just be changed in the build tree and rerunning
cmake build trigger a rebuild, e.g.:
$ cmake path/to/source -DGMX_DOUBLE=OFF
-DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/my/install/path; make install -j; cmake
.-DGMX_DOUBLE=ON; make install -j;

However, I recommend that you do your builds outside the source tree
in separate build directories - or at least in separate directories in
the source tree - and just use the same CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX for every
build.

> One concern is that each time I run cmake, it will download fftw and the regression tests.

If you want to do regression tests of multiple builds, to avoid the
downloading, you should download the regressiontests tarball manually
and just point cmake to it instead of having it download every time.

While you'll need a different FFTW build for double precision, you are
right that single precision MPI vs thread-MPI builds would not need a
different FFTW. If you want to avoid this (IMHO minor) overhead,
compile FFTW manually and just point CMake to it (via
CMAKE_PREFIX_PATH).

Cheers,
--
Szilárd