[gmx-users] Re: Water spreading on graphene!

Sapna Sarupria sapna.sarupria at gmail.com
Sun Apr 21 17:21:03 CEST 2013

Dear David, Vitaly and all,

Thanks for the thoughts/comments. There are no partial charges on the
carbons in this sheet. (Sorry if there was any confusion about this).

I used gromacs_4.5.5 version for these simulations. I also did increase the
graphene sheet size to 10 nm x 10 nm and the box size to have 4142 water
molecules. Initially the drop is placed about 3-4 nm away from the graphene
sheet. In 600 ps the drop moves towards the sheet (forming something that
looks like a pillar of water) and begins to spread on the sheet. The setup
itself is placed in a 20 nm x 20 nm x 20 nm box. So both big sheet, and big
box do not seem to help.

The interesting part is I have another set of simulations with silica
surface. The partial charges are turned off to make it hydrophobic. In this
case the droplet remains a droplet. The mdp files are the same - I am using
PME and NVT system with the drop and sheet coupled to different
thermostats. The silica surface is frozen (so t_ref = 0 for the sheet). I
have tested this system for gromacs 4.0.5, and 4.5.5. In both cases it
remains a droplet.

The only difference in the two is that in case of silica surface the
surface is periodic, while graphene is a finite size sheet. Does this make
such a big difference?

Thoughts, comments, suggestions welcome!

thanks all,
Sapna