[gmx-users] MTTK with double precision GROMACS

Michael Shirts mrshirts at gmail.com
Tue Dec 24 06:44:45 CET 2013

MTTK with constraints has a tendency to fail with numerical stability
issues.  It is perfectly good as long as it doesn't fail.  We will
retire it in 5.1 or so.

In the meantime, things that can reduce failures due to numerical instability.

- Apply constraints only to h-bonds
- make tau_p longer (5 ps).
- increase the tolerance on the shake constraints to 10^-10 or 10^-12.

However, MTTK does not currently have semiisotropic scaling -- it was
too nasty to do with constraints.

If you want to semiisotropic scaling, I would probably do md +
Parrinello-Rahman.  Currently MTTK really only has an advantage with
certain algorithms that require velocity Verlet.