[gmx-users] compiling on different architecture than the compute nodes architecture

Broadbent, Richard richard.broadbent09 at imperial.ac.uk
Thu Feb 7 10:00:51 CET 2013

Dear Silard,

cmake -DGMX_CPU_ACCELERATION=AVX_256 -DGMX_DEFAULT_SUFFIX=OFF
-DGMX_BINARY_SUFFIX="_avx"  -DGMX_OPENMP=ON  -DGMX_MPI=ON -DGMX_DOUBLE=ON
-DGMX_GPU=OFF -DGMX_PREFER_STATIC_LIBS=ON -DGMX_FFT_LIBRARY=mkl
-DMKL_INCLUDE_DIR=$MKLROOT/include
-DMKL_LIBRARIES="$MKLROOT/lib/intel64/libmkl_core.so;$MKLROOT/lib/intel64/l
ibmkl_intel_lp64.so;$MKLROOT/lib/intel64/libmkl_sequential.so"
-DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=$HOME/libs/gromacs

Compiled, linked and installed without warning using intel-suite/2013,
mpi/intel-3.1, and cmake/2.8.9 I was compiling release-4-6 out of the git
repository ( 06935659a3125d9b44b84c57e67cb6788fda42c1 ). The job using
that executable is still in the queue, however, another one built using
the sse2 kernels ran a minimisation on a single core without problems.

How much faster fftw3 is than mkl for gromacs, is the difference likely to
be on the scale of 1-2% or 10%?

Thanks,

Richard