[gmx-users] compiling on different architecture than the compute nodes architecture

Mark Abraham mark.j.abraham at gmail.com
Fri Feb 8 15:01:36 CET 2013

On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 10:00 AM, Broadbent, Richard <
richard.broadbent09 at imperial.ac.uk> wrote:

> Dear Silard,
>
> cmake -DGMX_CPU_ACCELERATION=AVX_256 -DGMX_DEFAULT_SUFFIX=OFF
> -DGMX_BINARY_SUFFIX="_avx"  -DGMX_OPENMP=ON  -DGMX_MPI=ON -DGMX_DOUBLE=ON
> -DGMX_GPU=OFF -DGMX_PREFER_STATIC_LIBS=ON -DGMX_FFT_LIBRARY=mkl
> -DMKL_INCLUDE_DIR=$MKLROOT/include
> -DMKL_LIBRARIES="$MKLROOT/lib/intel64/libmkl_core.so;$MKLROOT/lib/intel64/l
> ibmkl_intel_lp64.so;$MKLROOT/lib/intel64/libmkl_sequential.so"
> -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=$HOME/libs/gromacs
>
> Compiled, linked and installed without warning using intel-suite/2013,
> mpi/intel-3.1, and cmake/2.8.9 I was compiling release-4-6 out of the git
> repository ( 06935659a3125d9b44b84c57e67cb6788fda42c1 ). The job using
> that executable is still in the queue, however, another one built using
> the sse2 kernels ran a minimisation on a single core without problems.
>
> How much faster fftw3 is than mkl for gromacs, is the difference likely to
> be on the scale of 1-2% or 10%?

The former, I would expect. Naturally it depends on your hardware, how you
compiled FFTW, and whether/how you use PME in GROMACS. If your PME-PP load
balance has too much work for the PP nodes, then FFT performance doesn't
matter. The .log file prints lots of analysis about this, and mdrun tries
by default to do what it can to balance.

Recent versions of icc and MKL do make compiling for MKL much easier, so
we'll probably add that for 5.0

Mark