[gmx-users] Warning/Error message in NVT & NPT

Mark Abraham mark.j.abraham at gmail.com
Mon Feb 18 12:21:08 CET 2013

On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 5:24 AM, Wui Zhuan Lim <wuizhuanl at hotmail.com>wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm a beginner in using Gromacs and MD simulation works.
> I am currently doing a simulation of enzyme unfolding.
> When I began NVT equilibration, a warning note appeared, as shown below:
> With twin range cut-offs and SHAKE the virial and pressure are incorrect.
> At first, I tried to ignore the warning with -maxwarn (although it's
> better not to use it, just have a try)
> The warning did disappear.
> As
>  I move forward to NPT, the same message appeared again. But it's no
> longer "warning", but "error" instead, which cannot be avoided with
> -maxwarn, so I could not proceed NPT at the moment.
> So I was
> wondering if it's a serious issue to fix it. I understand what twin
> range cut-offs and SHAKE are, but how will I know the appropriate virial
>  and pressure?

If a combination of algorithms isn't implemented and there's an error that
prevents it, then the GROMACS authors were serious about it :-) What
GROMACS version is this? Why are you using SHAKE rather than LINCS?

Also note that your PME parameters are very crude, and that re-generating
velocities when you start NPT is generally not what you want to do.

Mark