[gmx-users] Warning/Error message in NVT & NPT

Wui Zhuan Lim wuizhuanl at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 18 05:24:04 CET 2013

Hi all,

I'm a beginner in using Gromacs and MD simulation works.
I am currently doing a simulation of enzyme unfolding.
When I began NVT equilibration, a warning note appeared, as shown below:
With twin range cut-offs and SHAKE the virial and pressure are incorrect.
At first, I tried to ignore the warning with -maxwarn (although it's better not to use it, just have a try)
The warning did disappear.
As
 I move forward to NPT, the same message appeared again. But it's no
longer "warning", but "error" instead, which cannot be avoided with
-maxwarn, so I could not proceed NPT at the moment.
So I was
wondering if it's a serious issue to fix it. I understand what twin
range cut-offs and SHAKE are, but how will I know the appropriate virial
 and pressure?

Regards,
Adam

**Below are my mdp files for NVT and NPT:

NVT

title       = Protein-ligand complex NVT equilibration
define      = -DPOSRES
; Run parameters
integrator  = sd
nsteps      = 10000
dt          = 0.002
; Output control
nstxout     = 100
nstvout     = 100
nstenergy   = 100
nstlog      = 100
energygrps  = Protein Non-Protein
; Bond parameters
continuation    = no
constraint_algorithm = shake
constraints     = hbonds
; Neighborsearching
ns_type     = grid
nstlist     = 5
rlist       = 0.9
rcoulomb    = 0.9
rvdw        = 1.4
; Electrostatics
coulombtype     = PME
pme_order       = 3
fourierspacing  = 0.16
; Temperature coupling
tc_grps     = Protein Water_and_ions
tau_t       = 0.1   0.1
ref_t       = 300   300
; Pressure coupling
pcoupl      = no
; Periodic boundary conditions
pbc         = xyz
; Dispersion correction
DispCorr    = EnerPres
; Velocity generation
gen_vel     = yes
gen_temp    = 300
gen_seed    = -1

NPT

title       = Protein-ligand complex NVT equilibration
define      = -DPOSRES
; Run parameters
integrator  = sd
ld_seed     = -1