[gmx-users] Re: A note while running grompp for nvt equilibration

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Feb 19 13:56:21 CET 2013

On 2/19/13 1:36 AM, Anu Chandran wrote:
> Sir,
> Thank you for the reply. As per the suggestion, I tried increasing the
> rlist. Note or warning stopped when rlist was increased to 1.8. Also with
> this value of rcoulomb, the box size also needs to be increased. I would
> like to know whether it is fine to keep rlist 1.8 and also whether there is
> any other alternative rather than increasing rlist since increase in rlist
> requires an increase in box size.

I would investigate why you have such large charge groups.  For a protein in
water (which is what you appear to have based on the .mdp file), you should not
have such large charge groups.  Haphazardly adjusting cutoffs can have a
negative effect on the simulation.  Increasing rlist may result in poorer
performance.  Why are you using a switching potential for van der Waals
interactions?  Exact specifications for OPLS are hard to come by in the
literature, but most commonly one sees:

rvdw = 1.0
vdwtype = cutoff
rlist = 1.0