[gmx-users] Problem with g_rdf

Thomas Schlesier schlesi at uni-mainz.de
Wed Feb 20 14:08:11 CET 2013

My understanding is the following:
If you performed a simulation and then analyse it with different values
for 'nrexcl' the results will differ since a different amount of
interactions are excluded. It seems that the exclusion only helps for
'-rdf atom' and not for '-rdf mol_com'.
But the underlying simulation is the same (you got the output with a
unique input), only the way you analyse the results changes...

If you change the *.tpr (change 'nrexcl') and run a new simulation, you
would get complete different results, i.e. the underlying simulations
changes, due to the fact that you excluded some interactions. More
important, the results are wrong (from a force field perspective). If
you turn for a protein 'nrexcl' so high, that the intramolecular
non-bonded interaction don't get calculated, the protein might unfold
really fast, since there are no more hydrogen bonds etc...
Think there are some special cases, where one is interested in turning
of these interactions, but in most cases the resulting trajectory would
be for the trash bin.

Greetings
Thomas