[gmx-users] gromacs on GPU

James Starlight jmsstarlight at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 08:05:53 CET 2013

Today I've tried to test gpu performance on the benchmark system (
explicit solvent with pme )

grompp-gpu -f md_sd.mdp -c conf -p topol.top -o md_test
mdrun-gpu -device
"OpenMM:platform=Cuda,DeviceID=1,Memtest=15,force-device=no" -v
-deffnm md_test

that produce the error

Program mdrun-gpu, VERSION 4.5.5
Source code file: /home/own/gromacs_gpu/src/kernel/openmm_wrapper.cpp,
line: 1365

Fatal error:
OpenMM exception caught while initializating: cudaMemcpyToSymbol:
SetSim copy to cSim failed invalid device symbol

In the mailing list archive I've found the same error with the same
card posted some time ago
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.science.biology.gromacs.user/55577/match=openmm+exception+caught+while+initializating+cudaMemcpyToSymbol+setsim+copy+cSim+failed+invalid+device+symbol

>From that topic I've understood that 670 graphic card is not supported
yet in Gromacs (4.55). I've checked the manual for the 4.6 beta
version and does not found anything about supporting of that card in
the lattest gromacs realeses as well. IS there any ways to solve that
problem ? Could that error be linked with some others ?  E.g I've
installed nvidia drivers + cuda first and openMM 4.01 than. During
gromacs compilation I've not forced with any errors.

Thanks for help
James