[gmx-users] gromacs on GPU

James Starlight jmsstarlight at gmail.com
Wed Jan 9 18:17:22 CET 2013

Roland,

indeed the error was that I'have compilate mdrun-openmm which is not
the native gpu.

now I've made mdrun via

cmake CMakeLists.txt -DGMX_GPU=ON -DCUDA_TOOLKIT_ROOT_DIR=/usr/local/cuda-5.0

and obtain workable gromacs.

My test system consist of calmodulin (charmm27) solvated in tip3p
water. total size of the system: 67752 atoms.
I have set below values on the mdp file as grompp told me

nstlist = 20
cutoff-scheme = Verlet   ; !not quite sure whai is this!
vdwtype         = cut-off

 Now on the mdrun output I have

Using 1 MPI thread
Using 4 OpenMP threads

1 GPU detected:
  #0: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670, compute cap.: 3.0, ECC:  no, stat: compatible

1 GPU auto-selected to be used for this run: #0

does it mean that all 4 cores of my CPU + gpu are used at same time ?
is there any other ways to increase performance ? ( e.g I'm not quite
sure if open_mpi is used with that build because during compilation
cmake asked me only about fftw3 libs).

Is there any ways to monitor total performance ( e.g separate cpu and
gpu usage ) ?

Thanks for suggestions,

James