[gmx-users] gromacs on GPU

Szilárd Páll szilard.pall at cbr.su.se
Wed Jan 9 19:09:16 CET 2013

Dear James,

On Wed, Jan 9, 2013 at 6:17 PM, James Starlight <jmsstarlight at gmail.com>wrote:

> Roland,
>
> indeed the error was that I'have compilate mdrun-openmm which is not
> the native gpu.
>
> now I've made mdrun via
>
> cmake CMakeLists.txt -DGMX_GPU=ON
> -DCUDA_TOOLKIT_ROOT_DIR=/usr/local/cuda-5.0
>
> and obtain workable gromacs.
>
> My test system consist of calmodulin (charmm27) solvated in tip3p
> water. total size of the system: 67752 atoms.
> I have set below values on the mdp file as grompp told me
>
> nstlist = 20
> cutoff-scheme = Verlet   ; !not quite sure whai is this!

Again RTM:
http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/Cut-off_schemes<http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/Cut-off_schemes?highlight=verlet+scheme>

> vdwtype         = cut-off
>

>  Now on the mdrun output I have
>
> Using 1 MPI thread
> Using 4 OpenMP threads
>
> 1 GPU detected:
>   #0: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670, compute cap.: 3.0, ECC:  no, stat: compatible
>
> 1 GPU auto-selected to be used for this run: #0
>
> does it mean that all 4 cores of my CPU + gpu are used at same time ?

Yes.

> is there any other ways to increase performance ? ( e.g I'm not quite
> sure if open_mpi is used with that build because during compilation
> cmake asked me only about fftw3 libs).

There could be, but I/we can't well without more information on what and
how you compiled and ran. The minimum we need is a log file.

> Is there any ways to monitor total performance ( e.g separate cpu and
> gpu usage ) ?

See the performance table and summary at the end of the log file. For
further CPU monitoring you can use top, for GPUs the nvidia-smi tool that
comes together with the driver has some monitoring capabilities.

Finally, I would strongly suggest that you check the links I posted in the
first mail. There is plenty of documentation and general description on
the heterogeneous (CPU+GPU) acceleration on the wiki and mailing list; the
google results of the searches I hinted will get you exactly that and more.

Let me reiterate: while questions and general interest are appreciated, the
*minimum* expectation is that you at least read the relevant part of the
documentation and related mailing list posts, especially if this has been
already suggested to you. Please do us and yourself a favor and browse
through the available resources.

Cheers,
--
Szilárd