[gmx-users] Problems with g_anaeig

Mark Abraham mark.j.abraham at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 10:46:51 CET 2013

On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 6:40 AM, James Starlight <jmsstarlight at gmail.com>wrote:

> Mark,
>
> as I told previously to Justin ( lets to consider the problems with
> g_anaeig only in that topic to avoid producing doubles ) the problem
> is not in the average structure (it looks fine)

You might have noticed I made no mention of your average structure. You
told g_covar to write it out, but that's irrelevant to the workflow. You
chose an arbitrary *reference* structure for the covariance analysis and
found problems. You have to exclude the possibility that your choice of the
reference structure is the source of the problem.

> but in the
> filter.xtc trajectory produced by g_anaeig. When I load that xtc to
> any structure in vmd I obtained dynamics picture of my protein with
> broken geometry (its look loke my protein was shrunken).

It's hard to say anything about something we can't see.

But when I
> compared eigenvectors ( produced by g__covar) with the the results of
> the same cov.analysis where there were no such problems in filter.xtc
> I obtained full coverage in the same modes ( so g_covar in both cases
> produce apropriate cov.matrix and the problem only in g_anaeig .

What do you mean by "coverage"?

The eigenvectors are an orthonormal basis set for the observed variation.
If the observed variation is a mess (because the structural ensemble you're
treating as a black box is actually a mess, or your reference structure is
an outlier), then the eigensystem will not lead to a sensible filter.

Since you chose not to follow my hints last time:
1) Go and look at the X-ray ensemble. Is it one? Is your arbitrary choice
of reference structure appropriate? Is there even an appropriate choice?
2) You can filter the trajectories based on the other's eigensystem. If the
eigensystems are equivalent, then the filtered trajectories should look the
same. If they don't, then your two ensembles differ.

Mark

James