[gmx-users] Decreasing of the box size during membrane protein simulation

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Jan 30 14:35:29 CET 2013

On 1/29/13 11:57 PM, James Starlight wrote:
> Justin,
>

> with cut-offs=1.2 both in cpu+gpu or with cpu only I've obtained only
> small decrease along the Z-dim ( from 10 to 9 nm). With cut-offs 1.0
> I've obtained decreae from 10 to 8.5. So it might be concluded that
> the observable is cut-off sensetive.

Good to know.  Most "normal" systems of proteins in water will probably be
insensitive to most changes with the new cutoff scheme, but I was suspicious
about membranes.  I'll have to do some of my own testing, as well.

> By the way during simulation of such system in gromos-54a7 united atom
> ( the same number of lipids and water)  ff with 1.2 cut-offs I didnt
> observed any decrease of the cutoffs.

Different force fields behave differently.  I wouldn't expect to necessarily be
able to draw a parallel between different parameter sets that inherently use
different run parameters, but this is also good to know.

-Justin