[gmx-users] why TIPS3P, why not TIP3P?

Javier Cerezo jcb1 at um.es
Mon Jul 8 12:08:59 CEST 2013

Hi Albert

I've been using the version dated July 2010, which seems to be the last
one on the user contribution section.

I pointed the paper by Piggot and co-workers to add a point on your
original question whether CHARM-TIP3P makes a difference or not. I think
that the paper answer why the developer of the FF contribution recommend
such water model.

Using it or not is of course up to the user and may be affected by the
system and settings (my own experience is with bilayer only systems,
membrane proteins may behave quite different). And I agree with you that
the extra computational burden imposed by CHARM-TIP3P is something that
encourages one to use the standard TIP3P, if it provides the correct
answers. For instance, in the aforementioned paper, it seems that POPC
is not so affected as DPPC.

Javier

--
Javier CEREZO BASTIDA