[gmx-users] Calculating shear viscosity using none-equilibrium MD: Viscosity dependent on acceleration magnitude

Boning Wu bw194 at scarletmail.rutgers.edu
Tue Jul 9 02:59:51 CEST 2013

Hi GMX Users,
   I want to calculate the shear viscosity of an ionic liquid. Thus I
applied the cos-acceleration in my box. However, I found that my calculated
viscosity got by "g_energy" is significantly dependent on magnitude of the
acceleration. I don't know why. Even if this is a none-Newton liquid,why
viscosity cannot converge at such a slow acceleration  My system consists
of 216 ion pairs, and it has been equibrated under NPT for 5 ns. The box
length is about 5 nm.

*******
Magnitude of the acceleration(nm/ps2)           Viscosity(cP)
0.01                                                         6102
0.03                                                         4452
0.06                                                         3580
0.1                                                           872
0.5                                                           48.5
Experimental Value                                    85
*******
Here is my mdp file

**************************************
title                    = XXXX YYYY