[gmx-users] Re: Umbrella Sampling settings

Thomas Schlesier schlesi at uni-mainz.de
Fri Jul 12 11:27:23 CEST 2013

But you need each of these lines for both cases (SMD and US). Probably
one could skip two lines and use the default values, but it's better to
set them manually. See below for comments (comments are under the
related entry):

> Thanks for your reply. But when I don't understand why these extra lines
> are needed to set when are not advantageous practically! :-( Sincerely,
> Shima ----- Original Message ----- From: Justin Lemkul <jalemkul at vt.edu>
> To: Shima Arasteh <shima_arasteh2001 at yahoo.com>; Discussion list for
> GROMACS users <gmx-users at gromacs.org> Cc: Sent: Friday, July 12, 2013
> 1:37 AM Subject: Re: [gmx-users] Umbrella Sampling settings On 7/11/13
> 4:21 PM, Shima Arasteh wrote:
>> >Hi,
>> >
>> >I want to run Umbrella Sampling on my system. In initial configurations, an ion is located in center of the window.
>> >Some mdp file settings for running US, as I found in US tutorial are :
>> >; Pull code
>> >pull? ? ? ? ? ? = umbrella
how do you want to pull (umbrella / constant force / ...)
>> >pull_geometry?  = distance
second part for 'how to pull' ; see the manual
>> >pull_dim? ? ? ? = N N Y
in which direction do you want to pull
>> >pull_start? ? ? = yes
should the initial distance of 'pull_group0' and 'pull_group1' be added
to 'pull_init1'
>> >pull_ngroups? ? = 1
number of pulled groups
>> >pull_group0? ?  = Chain_B
referene group
>> >pull_group1? ?  = Chain_A
pulled group
>> >pull_init1? ? ? = 0
place where origin of the potential is place
>> >pull_rate1? ? ? = 0.0
pulling veloity (default value could be 0, but if you want to pull with
a zero-velocity it's safer to give this value manually
>> >pull_k1? ? ? ?  = 4000? ? ? ; kJ mol^-1  nm^-2
force constant for umbrella / force for constant force
>> >pull_nstxout? ? = 1000? ? ? ; every 2 ps
output coordinates
>> >pull_nstfout? ? = 1000? ? ? ; every 2 ps
output forces

So, you see each line is sensible, there are no 'extra' lines.

Greetings
Thomas