[gmx-users] Gromacs installation problem

Douglas Houston DouglasR.Houston at ed.ac.uk
Fri Jul 12 12:18:20 CEST 2013

Hi,

I am having trouble installing Gromacs 4.6.3.

In bash I am using the following sequence of commands:

cd gromacs-4.6.3
mkdir build
cd build
CC=/usr/people/douglas/programs/gcc-4.7.3/installation/bin/gcc
~/programs/cmake-2.8.7/bin/cmake .. -DGMX_BUILD_OWN_FFTW=ON
make
sudo make install

Everything seems to go OK until the 'sudo make install' stage when I get:

"make: Warning: File `Makefile' has modification time 1.2e+04 s in the future
CMake Error at cmake/gmxDetectClang30.cmake:36 (try_compile):
   Failed to open

/usr/people/douglas/programs/gromacs-4.6.3/build/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp/CMakeLists.txt

   Permission denied
Call Stack (most recent call first):
   CMakeLists.txt:301 (gmx_detect_clang_3_0)

CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:946 (add_subdirectory):
   add_subdirectory given source "src/contrib/fftw" which is not an existing
   directory.

CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:956 (MESSAGE):
   Cannot find FFTW 3 (with correct precision - libfftw3f for single-precision
   GROMACS or libfftw3 for double-precision GROMACS).  Either choose the right
   precision, choose another FFT(W) library, enable the advanced option to let
   GROMACS build FFTW 3 for you, or use the really slow GROMACS built-in
   fftpack library.

CMake Error: Unable to open check cache file for write.
/usr/people/douglas/programs/gromacs-4.6.3/build/CMakeFiles/cmake.check_cache
make: *** [cmake_check_build_system] Error 1"

I don't understand the 'permission denied' error on opening
CMakeLists.txt - when I 'ls' for this file it's not there at all. The
"let gromacs build FFTW 3 for you" I also don't understand as I'm
already using the -DGMX_BUILD_OWN_FFTW=ON option.

Any help would be most appreciated.

cheers,

Doug

Dr. Douglas R. Houston
Lecturer
Room 3.23
Institute of Structural and Molecular Biology
Michael Swann Building
King's Buildings
University of Edinburgh
Edinburgh, EH9 3JR, UK
Tel. 0131 650 7358

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.