[gmx-users] Re: gmx 4.6.1, Expanded ensemble: weird balancing factors

Michael Shirts mrshirts at gmail.com
Wed Jul 17 00:38:19 CEST 2013

That's a good question.  My understanding and experience is the
difference in required overlap in replica exchange and expanded
ensemble methods is not significant.  There are probably some more
detailed studies out there. Expanded ensemble can be somewhat more
efficient (see a paper by Park and Pande) But you really do want to
have at least 30% of the states moving each time in any case.

However, you DO need less overlap to get fairly good free energy
estimates.  I.e. the overlap for BAR to work fairly well is lower than
the what you need for good mixing.  That's more anecdotal -- I'd have
to dig a bit to get you good results on that . . .