[gmx-users] g_hbond for trajectory without having box information

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Fri Jul 19 13:39:29 CEST 2013

On 7/19/13 6:55 AM, bipin singh wrote:
> Sorry for my silly mistake.
>
> I have a doubt regarding the expected difference in total No. of H-bonds
> calculated with whole a MD trajectory (protein+solvent box) and H-bonds
> calculated with concatenated frames (only protein) from a MD trajectory.
>
>   I mean, will the number of H-bonds present at a particular time in a MD
> trajectory (protein+solvent), should be exactly same as number of H-bonds
> calculated using trajectory made of concatenated frames (only protein) from
> (if we look at number of H-bonds present at same point of time in both).
>
> Because I am not getting the exact match between the two, there is random
> difference of 1-3 H-bonds at some point of time.

I suspect that the issue stems from having to manually set the box.  I don't
understand why you would have to do this after running a simulation in explicit
solvent.  Did you just extract the protein coordinates from the explicit
simulation?  If so, I don't see how the box information would be omitted.

You can get spurious H-bonds across PBC if you are manually setting a bad box
size in a given frame or series of frames.  Without the exact sequence of
commands from what you have done, it's pure guesswork.

-Justin