[gmx-users] water position restraints

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Sun Jun 2 16:18:44 CEST 2013

On 6/2/13 7:57 AM, Shima Arasteh wrote:
> I just applied genrestr command:
> #genrestr -f minim.gro -o water_posre.itp -fc 100000 100000 100000
> And then I just chose the water to create the water_posre.itp.
> Would not that work?

No, it won't.  You can't run genrestr on a configuration with multiple
molecules.  Position restraints are applied based on moleculetype-specific
numbering, not atom numbering in a coordinate file; thus genrestr only works if
using a single molecule in the input (note that the help text tells you this).

The approach outlined before is redundant and will cause a fatal error due to
atom numbering.  If you want to restrain water molecules, the default #ifdef
that is already built into the topology does all the work for you.  You don't
need to do anything.  If, for some reason, you feel a stronger force constant is
required, just change it using a text editor.

-Justin

> Sincerely,
> Shima

Research Scientist