[gmx-users] Re: umbrella sampling for two polymer interaction

Thomas Schlesier schlesi at uni-mainz.de
Mon Jun 3 11:18:17 CEST 2013

Sorry, my writing was not really excat.
If you use a reference group, the force / potential acting on the pulled
group is always relative to the reference group.
If you use 'pull_geometry = distance' the origin potential is always in
the distance 'pull_init1' along the vector from the reference group to
the pulled group. (assuming the pulling velocity is zero, else there
would be an additional contribution).
Imagine an MD step. Both molecules have moved.
1) Calculate new origin of the umbrella potential
2) Calculate the forces
3) Let only these forces act which are allowed from 'pull_dim = X Y Z'
Some cases:
Y Y Y -> Move the pulled group to the origin of umbrella potential
Y N N -> let the force act only along the X-axis
N N N -> let no force act
4) do next MD step and start again at (1)

So if one component is N the pulled group can move freely along this
axis (relative to the reference group).

Just imagine the step of the pull-code as a step which happens after a
MD step and remember that both step are independed from each other (ok,
both use the coordinates from the previous step, but they are n that
sense independend from each other as two following MD steps in a normal
simulation).
This means, that in the MD step, both groups can move freely, as there
is now umbrella potential. But in the pull-code step, we switch the
potential on.

 > Sorry confused. In AMBER I remember I did once methane-methane
 > interaction,just distance based umbrella sampling. But there I did
 > not provide any direction. So should it not be N N N in Gromacs if I
 > want to allow them freely move in xyz.

With 'pull_gemoetry' you tell GROMACS how it should setup the pulling
potential. With 'distance' it don't needs an explizit pull_vector, since
GROMACS uses the vector connecting both groups.