[gmx-users] Performance of Gromacs-4.6.1 on BlueGene/Q

Jianguo Li ljggmx at yahoo.com.sg
Tue Jun 4 16:43:35 CEST 2013

Thank you XAvie.
The thing is that the cluster manager set the minimum number of cores of each jobs in Bluegene/Q is 128, so I can not use 64 cores. But according to the performance, 512 cores in Bluegene roughly equivalent to 64 cores in another cluster. Since there are 16 cores in each computational cards, the total number of cores I used in Bluegene//Q is num_cards times 16. So in my test, I acutally run simulations using different number of cards, from 8 to 256. But each card  I used 32 mpi tasks (since bluegene accepts up to 4 tasks each core). The following is the script I submitted to bluegene:

#!/bin/sh
#SBATCH --nodes=128
# set Use 128 Compute Cards ( 1x Compute Card = 16 cores, 128x16 = 2048 cores )
#SBATCH --job-name="128x16x2"
# set Job name
#SBATCH -output="first-job-sample"
# set Output file
#SBATCH --partition="training"
# set Job queue ( default is normal )

srun --ntasks-per-node=32 --overcommit /scratch/home/biilijg/package/gromacs-461/bin/mdrun -s box_md1.tpr -c box_md1.gro -x box_md1.xtc -g md1.log >& job_md1

Cheers
Jianguo