[gmx-users] Running gmx-4.6.x over multiple homogeneous nodes with GPU acceleration

Szilárd Páll szilard.pall at cbr.su.se
Tue Jun 4 18:30:14 CEST 2013

mdrun is not blind, just the current design does report the hardware
of all compute nodes used. Whatever CPU/GPU hardware mdrun reports in
the log/std output is *only* what rank 0, i.e. the first MPI process,
detects. If you have a heterogeneous hardware configuration, in most
cases you should be able to run just fine, but you'll still get only
the hardware the first rank sits on reported.

Hence, if you want to run on 5 of the nodes you mention, you just do:
mpirun -np 10 mdrun_mpi [-gpu_id 01]

You may want to try both -ntomp 8 and -ntomp 16 (using HyperThreading
does not always help).

Also note that if you use GPU sharing among ranks (in order to use <8
threads/rank), (for some technical reasons) disabling dynamic load
balancing may help - especially if you have a homogenous simulation
system (and hardware setup).

Cheers,
--
Szilárd