[gmx-users] High Initial generated Temp

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Jun 4 22:27:25 CEST 2013

On 6/4/13 12:51 PM, tarak karmakar wrote:
> Yeah!
> It is indeed a silly point to generate a velocity distribution at 0 K. (
> Maxwell-Boltzmann will be in trouble)
> After the warm up, now let say my protein is in 300 K, can't I generate a
> velocity distribution at 300 k (using the keyword gen_vel = yes, gen_temp =
> 300 K gen_seed = 173529 ) during my production run?

You can generate velocities whenever you like, but you'll have to allow for some
time to equilibrate, so what you're calling "production" isn't entirely
production because it's no longer equilibrated in any real sense.  The heating
phase may help to optimize the initial geometry, but regenerating velocities may
screw everything up if something becomes unstable.  Assuming restraints are off
during "production," then you can screw up the geometry of your system if
something gets an unpleasant kick from the new velocities.

-Justin

Research Scientist
jalemkul[at]vt.edu | (540) 231-9080