[gmx-users] Difference between the electrostatic treatments PME/Cut-offs and Reaction Field

Dallas Warren Dallas.Warren at monash.edu
Wed Jun 5 04:51:23 CEST 2013

"Problem" solved.

Just as well I held off reporting the "issue" in full until I had explored everything, I would ended have look a bit stupid ;-)  But asking the initial question helped direct my thinking to the reason.

The issue was the difference in van der Waals cut off between the PME/Cut-off and Reaction Field methods that I was using, 0.9/0.9/0.9 vs 0.8/1.4/1.4  The difference was hidden in the results until you turned off Dispersion Correction, which was what was confusing me and final led to realizing what is going on.  My forehead hurt from slapping it after coming to the realization ...

It should also be noted (and obvious now that I actually look into it) that using dispersion correction results in both the latent heat of vapourisation and density of the alkanes being over estimated (for both Cut-off and Reaction Field, and by the same amount).

Catch ya,

Dr. Dallas Warren
Drug Discovery Biology
Monash Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Monash University
381 Royal Parade, Parkville VIC 3052
dallas.warren at monash.edu
+61 3 9903 9304