Fwd: [gmx-users] Eigenvector and eigenvalues

Ankita naithani ankitanaithani at gmail.com
Sat Jun 8 13:06:08 CEST 2013

Hi Tsjerk,

[I am reposting it since my previous attachment was unable to proceed I
guess]

Thank you for the reply. I am sorry but I don't have the snapshots with me
as my system was formatted and I lost that information. However, I
performed PCA again on Calpha atoms and this time my matrix is 5976X5976
wherein 1992 are my total number of calpha atoms. So, yes indeed I did
something foolish in the previous case to have got that result. However, I
will try to look at it and find my mistake so as to not repeat it again.

I would be really grateful if you could help me with my another naive
query. I wanted to see the movie of first few eigenvectors as individual
and also separately. I know I can extract that with the help of g_anaeig
but as I did PCA on only calpha atoms, all I get in the projection of first
eigenvector is the calpha dots. Is there any way, I can visualise the
projection of whole protein on that particular eigenvector?

Secondly, if I want to see the projection along first 10 eigenvectors and
last 10 eigenvectors (slow modes and fast modes), how could I proceed
because when I choose -first 1 -last 10, it gives me individual pdb files
corresponding to the eigenvectors.

Third, as can be judged by my absolute naivety, I did a 2d projection on PC
1 and PC 2. I can visualise that plot in grace as a 2d plot. An example
file is appended herein. I know each dot might correspond to a particular
conformation in the trajectory but I really have no idea as to how to
interpret the results and draw conclusions from these 2d plots and also 3d
pdb projections. Could you please guide me in the right direction to
understand these 2d plots and infer the significant results?

Kind regards,

Ankita

--
Ankita Naithani