[gmx-users] Re: Enthalpy Confusion

Michael Shirts mrshirts at gmail.com
Tue Jun 11 21:15:50 CEST 2013

If you are computing enthaply in the NPT ensemble, P is constant, and
is the applied pressure.

The "pressure" quantity calculated from the KE and the virial is not
the pressure.  It is a quantity that when averaged over time is equal
the pressure.  Only the average is meaningful macroscopically.

If you are computing enthalpy in another ensemble (which is possible,
though it may be harder to interpret) then you would use the average
pressure from this quantity.