[gmx-users] Re: CUDA with QUADRO GPUs

Ramon Crehuet Simon ramon.crehuet at iqac.csic.es
Tue Jun 18 10:22:11 CEST 2013

Dear Szilard,
Thanks for your message. Your help is priceless and helps advance science more than many publications. I extend that to many experts who kindly and promptly answer questions in the mailing list. I wish that could be valued when evaluating a CV. Sorry for the digression...
The visualization I had in mind was the one most of us do: MD trajectories of biomolecules. In particular I use VMD. From you message, I deduce that a GTX card would work as good as a quadro for a much lower price. Right?
The problem is that most worksations come with quadro cards, not GTX. In particular I was looking at Dell precision workstation. If you want a GTX card you have to go to a gaming PC. Which is probably ok if the administration understands it... :-)
The GTX cards lack ECC. Is that an issue for running gromacs? or the memory errors only result in adding a negligible stochastic term to the dynamics?
Thanks again,
Ramon

Message: 5