[gmx-users] Overlap between PC motions

Miguel Ángel Mompeán García mig.mompean at gmail.com
Tue Jun 18 20:00:49 CEST 2013

Hi Tsjerk,

I really appreciate your comments. I proceeded as you recommended, and
calculate the subspace overlap in the way you proposed.

I first performed the analysis varying the starting points, instead of the
end ones. I start from 110 ns down to 0ns, with 10ns time intervals:

Normalized  DT
   0.402    110-100ns
   0.456    110-90ns
   0.472    110-80ns
   0.485    110-70ns
   0.570    110-60ns
   0.585    110-50ns
   0.594    110-40ns
   0.595    110-30ns
   0.598    110-20ns
   0.602    110-10ns
   1.000     Ttot

The analysis and visual inspection of the trajectory revealed that the
system, made up of six interacting monomers, is very stable. An Hbond is
formed at the half of the simulation since the N-terminal moiety of one of
these monomers moves towards another monomer. After my wrong conception and
based on your comments, now I think that the point is that the system was
relaxing towards that conformation and that was the reason of the 1.000
values for the subspace overlap in the first email I posted.
I have read through the bibliography that to have an estimation of whether
these values are indicative of good convergence is required a comparison
with similar systems. However, to understand the meaning of the method I
also did the covariance analysis on the last part of the trajectory, first
varying the end points (70-75; 70-80; 70-85 ... 70-110) and then varying
the starting ones (110-105; 110-100 ... 110-70) and I got the following
values:

Normalized  DT
   0.503    110-105ns
   0.735    110-100ns
   0.821    110-95ns
   0.947    110-90ns
   1.000    110-85ns
   1.000    110-80ns
   1.000    110-75ns
   1.000    110-70ns

Normalized  DT
   0.439    70-75 ns
   0.564    70-80 ns
   0.614    70-85 ns
   0.639    70-90 ns
   0.895    70-95 ns
   1.000    70-100ns
   1.000    70-105ns
   1.000    70-110ns

I do not know if I am wrong, but the relaxation is observed when varying
the end points (0-10, 0-20, 0-30 ... 0-110), and proceeding the reverse way
(110-100, 110-90, 110-80 ... 110-0) the results seem to make more sense.
However, when performing the covariance analysis on the last part of the
trajectory the thing of the covariance matrices being equal before reaching
the time window that covers the whole time analyzed is getting me confused.
It is expected to get so many 1.000-values? I do not see the point for the
covariance matrices being equal when varying the starting points.

Regards,
Miguel