[gmx-users] System expansion

Oliver Schillinger o.rusche at fz-juelich.de
Thu Jun 20 15:44:25 CEST 2013

Dear Gromacs users,

I experience a very strange problem.
I have a well equilibrated system consisting of a protein, a ligand,
ions and water. On most machines I run my simulations on, everything is
just fine. Except for one compute cluster, where the system undergoes an
extreme expansion when I use the md-vv integrator for an NPT-simulation.
To give you an impression I uploaded a short video showing the first 100
picoseconds of the run to my Dropbox:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/d1ef94bbns0hasr/explode.mpg

The system expands so heavily that it consists mainly of vacuum.
If I switch the integrator from md-vv to md, everything is fine again.
The same simulation (same .mdp file, same starting positions and
velocities from previous simulation) runs fine with the md-vv integrator
on our GPU-cluster.

The .mdp file can be downloaded here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/k9it6eiqb259o59/explode.mdp

I have no idea if it is me who is doing something wrond, a bug in
Gromacs, a problem with the cluster or something else.
Any suggestions and ideas are appreciated.

Regards,
Oliver

--
Oliver Schillinger