[gmx-users] Gromacs GPU system question

Szilárd Páll szilard.pall at cbr.su.se
Mon Jun 24 16:42:26 CEST 2013

I strongly suggest that you consider the single-chip GTX cards instead
of a dual-chip one; from the point of view of price/performance you'll
probably get the most from a 680 or 780.

You could ask why, so here are the reasons:
- The current parallelization scheme requires domain-decomposition to
use more than one GPU and the overhead of domain-decomposition is
quite high, so you typically get only 1.5-1.7x when going from one to
two domains (=GPUs, but you'll see that same with running CPUs only as
well);
- GROMACS uses the GPU as a coprocessor and needs to transfer
coordinates to the GPU and forces back; if your PCI-E is shared by two
GPUs which will inherently try to transfer at the same time, you'll
the overhead of transferring will get rather high (15% or more).

Cheers,
--
Szilárd