[gmx-users] Use dihedraltype 4 to allow several multiplicity terms

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu Mar 7 23:21:12 CET 2013

On 3/7/13 10:46 AM, Steven Neumann wrote:
> Dear Gmx Users,
>
> I used charmm server to get the parameters for my new molecule -
> alkane. i converted it into the gromacs topology.
> When I try grompp:
>
> WARNING 1 [file ffbonded.itp, line 7948]:
>    Overriding Proper Dih. parameters.
>    Use dihedraltype 4 to allow several multiplicity terms.
>
>    old: 0 0.159787 2 0 0.159787 2
>    new: CG331      CG321      CG321      CG331      9          0.00
>    0.1598288  2
>

> WARNING 2 [file ffbonded.itp, line 7949]:
>    Overriding Proper Dih. parameters.
>    Use dihedraltype 4 to allow several multiplicity terms.
>
>    old: 0 0.159829 2 0 0.159829 2
>    new: CG331      CG321      CG321      CG331      9          180.00
>    0.1330512  6
>
> My ffnonbonded.itp corresponding lines:
>
> [ dihedraltypes ]
> ; i	j	k	l	func	phi0	cp	mult
> CG331      CG321      CG321      CG331      9          0.00
> 0.1598288  2
> CG331      CG321      CG321      CG331      9          180.00     0.1330512  6
>
> Can you please explain me this? Shall use 4 instead of 2 or 6 at the
> end of these lines?

No, the last entries are the multiplicity, not the function type (which is the
fifth entry, under "func").  Unfortunately, I cannot answer why grompp is
prompting you to use type 4, which according to the manual is for periodic
improper dihedrals, not proper dihedrals.  Maybe you've added those lines in the
wrong directive, i.e. with impropers rather than propers?

Research Scientist
jalemkul[at]vt.edu | (540) 231-9080