[gmx-users] Performance of 4.6.1 vs. 4.5.5

Christopher Neale chris.neale at mail.utoronto.ca
Sat Mar 9 06:53:45 CET 2013

Dear users:

I am seeing a 140% performance boost when moving from gromacs 4.5.5 to 4.6.1 when I run a simulation on a single node. However, I am "only" seeing a 110% performance boost when running on multiple nodes. Does anyone else see this? Note that I am not using the verlet cutoff scheme.

I'm not sure that this is a problem, but I was surprised to see how big the difference was between 1 and 2 nodes, while for 2-10 nodes I saw a reliable 10% performance boost.

Please note that, while I compiled the fftw (with sse2) and gromacs 4.6.1, I did not compile the 4.5.5 version that I am comparing to (or its fftw) so the difference might be in compilation options. Still, I wonder why the benefits of 4.6.1 are so fantastic on 1 node but fall off to good-but-not-amazing on > 1 node.

The system is about 43K atoms. I have not tested this with other systems or cutoffs.

My mdp file follows. Thank you for any advice.

Chris.

constraints = all-bonds
lincs-iter =  1
lincs-order =  6