[gmx-users] Performance of 4.6.1 vs. 4.5.5

Mark Abraham mark.j.abraham at gmail.com
Sat Mar 9 15:00:28 CET 2013

On Sat, Mar 9, 2013 at 6:53 AM, Christopher Neale <
chris.neale at mail.utoronto.ca> wrote:

> Dear users:
>
> I am seeing a 140% performance boost when moving from gromacs 4.5.5 to
> 4.6.1 when I run a simulation on a single node. However, I am "only" seeing
> a 110% performance boost when running on multiple nodes. Does anyone else
> see this? Note that I am not using the verlet cutoff scheme.

What's the processor and network for those runs?

I'm not sure that this is a problem, but I was surprised to see how big the
> difference was between 1 and 2 nodes, while for 2-10 nodes I saw a reliable
> 10% performance boost.

Not sure what you mean by "reliable 10% performance boost." Reporting
actual ns/day rates would be clearer. Is a "140% performance boost" a
factor of 1.4 more ns/day or a factor of 2.4 more ns/day?

Please note that, while I compiled the fftw (with sse2) and gromacs 4.6.1,
> I did not compile the 4.5.5 version that I am comparing to (or its fftw) so
> the difference might be in compilation options.

Indeed.

> Still, I wonder why the benefits of 4.6.1 are so fantastic on 1 node but
> fall off to good-but-not-amazing on > 1 node.

Finding the answer would start by examining the changes in the timing
breakdowns in your .log files. Switching from using in-memory MPI to
network MPI is a significant cost on busy/weak networks.

The system is about 43K atoms. I have not tested this with other systems or
> cutoffs.
>
> My mdp file follows. Thank you for any advice.

Your system is probably not calculating energies very much. 4.6 uses
force-only kernels if that's all you need from it.

Mark

Chris.