[gmx-users] help with chromophore of a GFP

Anna Marabotti amarabotti at unisa.it
Thu Mar 21 10:00:33 CET 2013

Dear Justin,
there is not a "unique" GFP chromophore, the chromophore I am dealing
with is not the same for which CHARMM parameters have been published (I
am aware of CHARMM parameters for p-hydroxybenzylideneimidazolinone
chromophore of green fluorescent protein published by Reuter et al 2002,
of OPLS-AA parameters for DsRed fluorescent protein chromophore as a
residue of [(4cis)2[(1cis)4
amino4oxobutanimidoyl]4(4hydroxybenzylidene)5oxo4,5dihydro1Himidazol1yl]acetic
acid, of other parameters of other GFP chromophores), but mine is
different: is of the same family of proteins, but different residues are
involved and different heterocycles are generated.

Since I have to recalculate parameters, I chose Amber ff because I
already used it and I have tools to calculate Amber parameters, whereas
I have no tools to calculate CHARMM parameters. In a preliminary assay,
I tried to do the same parameterization using Gromos ff and PRODRG to
obtain parameters and topology (apart from the fact that charges are
probably wrong), but I experimented the same problem.

I am talking not only about the problem of obtaining parameters for this
particular chromophore, mine is a more general question: how to deal
with a "HETATM" entry which is not a ligand, but it's a part of the
protein chain? I tried to follow indications to make a new .rtp entry in
the GROMACS HowTo's, probably my problem would be solved if I would be
able to modify the aminoacids.hdb file, but this is not a simple
modification of a residue (eg. an oxidised Met or a methylation of a
Lys), this is a profound modification of four residues, so how can I
deal with this? I had a look at the .hdb file, but hydrogens I can see
are typical for amino acids residues and I cannot find any suggestions
on how to treat hydrogens that are bound to a "residue" which is so
different from classic standard residues. Has anyone made this before (I
am sure yes)? Could you please give some suggestions?

Thank you very much
Anna

Anna Marabotti, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
Department of Chemistry and Biology
University of Salerno
Via Ponte don Melillo
84084 Fisciano (SA)
Italy
Phone: +39 089 969583
Fax: +39 089 969603
E-mail: amarabotti at unisa.it
Skype: annam1972

"When a man with a gun meets a man with a pen, the man with the gun is a dead man"
(Roberto Benigni, about Roberto Saviano)