[gmx-users] Restraining water molecule

neeru sharma neeru.bioinfo at gmail.com
Thu Mar 21 13:10:25 CET 2013

> Message: 1
> Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 07:05:44 -0400
> From: Justin Lemkul <jalemkul at vt.edu>
> Subject: Re: [gmx-users] Restraining water molecule
> To: Discussion list for GROMACS users <gmx-users at gromacs.org>
>

> On 3/21/13 4:29 AM, neeru sharma wrote:
> >> Message: 6
> >> Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2013 09:04:05 -0400
> >> From: Justin Lemkul <jalemkul at vt.edu>
> >> Subject: Re: [gmx-users] Restraining water molecule
> >> To: Discussion list for GROMACS users <gmx-users at gromacs.org>
> >>
> >> On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 8:57 AM, neeru sharma <neeru.bioinfo at gmail.com

> >> want
> minimization

> of

> >> molecule."

> >> If you want to restrain a single water molecule, it needs to be defined
> as
> >> its own [moleculetype] or as a part of the protein [moleculetype].
> Breaking
> >> apart a continuous block of water causes problems with the SETTLE
> >> algorithm, so you will need to manually specify three constraints
> (OW-HW1,
> >> OW-HW2, and HW1-HW2) for this water molecule, while the remaining bath
> of
> >> solvent would be handled by SETTLE.
> >>
> >> -Justin
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> ========================================
> >>
> >> Justin A. Lemkul, Ph.D.
> >> Research Scientist
> >> Department of Biochemistry
> >> Virginia Tech
> >> Blacksburg, VA
> >> jalemkul[at]vt.edu | (540)
> >> 231-9080http://www.bevanlab.biochem.vt.edu/Pages/Personal/justin

> >> Please search the archive at
> >> http://www.gromacs.org/Support/Mailing_Lists/Search before posting!
> >>
> >> End of gmx-users Digest, Vol 107, Issue 81
> >> ******************************************
> >>

> > I tried restraining the single water molecule by specifying the
> > Protein-Ion-GTP-Water as one index group. The itp file, I used for this
> > water molecule was as follows:
> >

> > *[ moleculetype ]
> > ; molname       nrexcl
> > WAT             2
> >
> > [ atoms ]
> > ;   nr   type  resnr residue  atom   cgnr     charge       mass
> > #ifndef HEAVY_H
> >       1      O      1    WAT      O      1      -0.82   15.99940
> >       2      H      1    WAT     H1      1       0.41    1.00800
> >       3      H      1    WAT     H2      1       0.41    1.00800
> > #else
> >       1      O      1    WAT      O      1      -0.82    9.95140
> >       2      H      1    WAT     H1      1       0.41    4.03200
> >       3      H      1    WAT     H2      1       0.41    4.03200
> > #endif
> >
> > #ifndef FLEXIBLE
> > [ settles ]
> > ; O     funct   doh     dhh
> > 1       1       0.1     0.16330
> >
> > [ exclusions ]
> > 1       2       3
> [...]
Dear Justin,

I understood the fact that settle can not be applied more than once. I
removed the settle section from the itp file file, but I am still unable to
get how to apply restraint to OW-HW1,OW-HW2 and HW1-HW2 and where to
include these restraints, either in the protein's itp file or a separate
.itp file for this water molecule.

--Neeru