[gmx-users] construct the long polymer chain

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Fri Mar 22 03:40:43 CET 2013

On 3/21/13 10:35 PM, cqgzc wrote:
> Hi
> I have been following
> http://lists.gromacs.org/pipermail/gmx-users/2009-March/040125.html(procedure
> by Justin) to construct the Polyethylene (PE). However, I can only get the
> PE with length 6 just like
> CH3-CH2-CH2-CH2-CH2-CH3. Therefore, I want to know how to obtain the long
> polymer chain(e.g. length=20) using this method. Any help with my
> appreciate.

The method I proposed has no limitation on length of the polymer chain.  I can't
fathom a reason why it would work with 6 monomers but not 20, aside from some
problems with the input structure.  I have not been following this thread
closely, so my apologies if I've missed some critical detail along the way.

Research Scientist
jalemkul[at]vt.edu | (540) 231-9080