[gmx-users] Comparing Charmm 27 energies from GROMACS and NAMD

Mark Abraham mark.j.abraham at gmail.com
Wed May 1 23:46:12 CEST 2013

On Wed, May 1, 2013 at 2:32 PM, Reza Salari <resal81 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Justin,
>
> I actually did :) but it ended up being bigger than 50 kb so it needed
> moderator approval to show up. I was hoping it would've been released by
> now. I'll attach a the details below.
>
> Any help/hint is highly appreciated.
>
> Reza
>
> Details:
>
> *1)* Both systems were prepared using VMD "membrane" package and then
> waters were removed. I used Gromacs 4.6.1 and NAMD 2.9.
>
> *2)* Simulations were run in vacuum as a single-point energy calculations
> (0 step).

No, they weren't. See
http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/How-tos/Single-Point_Energy
You cannot hope to reproduce accurately the energy of a configuration if
you let the coordinates be manipulated.

PME was not used.

> *3) *For Gromacs runs, pdb2gmx was used to prepare the system and the
> output was saved as the pdb format. The mdp file:
>
> integrator    = md
> nsteps        = 0
> nstlog      = 1
> nstlist        = 1
> ns_type        = grid
> rlist        = 100.0
> coulombtype    = cut-off
> rcoulomb    = 100.0
> rvdw        = 100.0
> pbc         = no
>
> *4) *NAMD input file:
>
> structure          ../0_prep/memb_nowat.psf
> paratypecharmm  on
> parameters        par_all27_prot_lipid.prm
> exclude         scaled1-4
> 1-4scaling         1.0
> switching     off
> switchdist     8
> cutoff         1000
> pairlistdist     1000
> margin             0
> timestep         1.0
> outputenergies     1
> outputtiming     1
> binaryoutput     no
> coordinates     ../0_prep/memb_nowat.pdb
> outputname         out
> dcdfreq         10
> temperature     300
> run 0
>
> *5)* Energies:
>
> For Single POPC  (kcal/mol)
>

> Gromacs NAMD Diff
>
> Bond 43.0022 43.0015 -0.0007
> Angle 80.6568 80.6571 0.0003
> Dih 29.8083 29.8083 0.0000
> Imp 0.8452 0.8452 0.0000
>
> Coul -17.2983 -17.2983 0.0000
> LJ -7.0798 -7.0798 0.0000
>
> Pot 129.9343 129.9340 -0.0003

The intra-molecule terms look fine. Since this is a lipid, there are
non-bonded interactions that are intra-molecule, so the non-bondeds also
seem fine.

For POPC Memb (kcal/mol)

> Gromacs NAMD Diff
>
> Bond 1539.1181 1539.1162 -0.0019
> Angle 3111.9264 3111.9197 -0.0067
> Dih 1250.5425 1250.5421 -0.0004
> Imp 16.2837 16.2837 0.0000
>
> Coul -1837.8585 -1705.3075 132.5510
> LJ -995.0311   -1219.3432 -224.3121
>
> Pot 3084.9904 2993.2110 -91.7794

Something you think is equivalent is not :-) Move to testing a system with
two lipids. Inspect all the logfile outputs very carefully for clues.

Mark