[gmx-users] Error after trjconf processing

Mark Abraham mark.j.abraham at gmail.com
Fri May 3 09:57:53 CEST 2013

Trajectory frames written by mdrun are not post-processed to guess how you
would like PBC to be treated for whatever purpose you have next. So if a
molecule straddles a periodic boundary given the current center position,
that's what it looks like. If there are things you want to do, then there's
the instructions at
http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/Terminology/Periodic_Boundary_Conditions
.

In turn, it seems grompp applies a whole collection of basic checks, and it
seems that one of them might not be sufficiently PBC-aware. Such checks
appropriate for a normal grompp workflow, where this is the first point the
GROMACS machinery gets to see what you intend to do and is the point where
it can help you ensure sanity. It seems there's room for a small
improvement, too.

If the subsequent MD works, then you need have no concern, but if you want
to post-process your trjconv frames so that the molecules are whole, you
will suppress this warning the "correct" way.

Mark