[gmx-users] line wrapping on the gmx-users list

Christopher Neale chris.neale at mail.utoronto.ca
Sat May 11 15:56:09 CEST 2013

Perhaps it is just the way I am doing things then. From my viewing, there were 4 posts yesterday that required me to scroll horizontally when reading in my browser (This line too will come out requiring scrolling on the gmx list page that I find most useful):

http://lists.gromacs.org/pipermail/gmx-users/2013-May/081144.html
http://lists.gromacs.org/pipermail/gmx-users/2013-May/081148.html
http://lists.gromacs.org/pipermail/gmx-users/2013-May/081156.html
http://lists.gromacs.org/pipermail/gmx-users/2013-May/081165.html

Since http://www.gromacs.org/Support/Mailing_Lists/GMX-Users_List is also available, I guess that I have that option too, but I much prefer the long monthly list with links that colour according to my browser history.

I asked the question years ago about how to properly reply to a post and was told that I would have to reply to
the specific email of that post. However, I choose to receive digests, so I don't get those emails
and thus can not reply to them.

Thanks for your help.
Chris.

On Sat, May 11, 2013 at 5:15 AM, Christopher Neale <
chris.neale at mail.utoronto.ca> wrote:

> The lack of line-wrapping makes it a pain to read. It happens to my emails
> that are posted on this list
> (and I have seen others), unless I put explicit line-breaks in my posts,
> which I often forget to do.
>
> Is there anything that can be done?

I looked at the mailman docs, and saw no such feature. It's not clear that
we would want to use one if it existed. The days of 80-column everything
are gone.

IMHP, this should be automatically handled, and I often don't look too far
> into posts that are not line-wrapped online because it's tough to read and
> retain.

Yeah, but I would look to my mail client to configure mail the way I want
to send it and see it, not a mail server to configure how everybody has to
see it. With all due respect, I have long wondered why your email workflow
is unable to reply to a thread correctly. :-) Perhaps it is time for an
update!

Cheers,

Mark

I guess this must have been discussed before, but I searched and didn;t