[gmx-users] line wrapping on the gmx-users list

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Sat May 11 17:27:24 CEST 2013

On 5/11/13 9:56 AM, Christopher Neale wrote:
> Perhaps it is just the way I am doing things then. From my viewing, there were 4 posts yesterday that required me to scroll horizontally when reading in my browser (This line too will come out requiring scrolling on the gmx list page that I find most useful):
>
> http://lists.gromacs.org/pipermail/gmx-users/2013-May/081144.html
> http://lists.gromacs.org/pipermail/gmx-users/2013-May/081148.html
> http://lists.gromacs.org/pipermail/gmx-users/2013-May/081156.html
> http://lists.gromacs.org/pipermail/gmx-users/2013-May/081165.html

I think the number of problematic posts is in the minority.

Nearly every email client (actually probably all of them, but I'll be
conservative ;) has the ability to apply line wrapping or not.  Varying levels
of customization apply.  Whether or not people pay attention to their settings
is up to them.  If a message is too hard to read, I personally just delete it.

> Since http://www.gromacs.org/Support/Mailing_Lists/GMX-Users_List is also available, I guess that I have that option too, but I much prefer the long monthly list with links that colour according to my browser history.
>
> I asked the question years ago about how to properly reply to a post and was told that I would have to reply to
> the specific email of that post. However, I choose to receive digests, so I don't get those emails
> and thus can not reply to them.

In the case of digests, we ask that people just cut out the relevant text to
which they're replying and change the subject line.  I suppose if there was
something really interesting that you wanted to reply to and didn't want to
bother with the digest modifications, the link above gives you the ability to do
that.

-Justin

> Thanks for your help.
> Chris.
>

> On Sat, May 11, 2013 at 5:15 AM, Christopher Neale <
> chris.neale at mail.utoronto.ca> wrote:
>
>> The lack of line-wrapping makes it a pain to read. It happens to my emails
>> that are posted on this list
>> (and I have seen others), unless I put explicit line-breaks in my posts,
>> which I often forget to do.
>>
>> Is there anything that can be done?
>>

> I looked at the mailman docs, and saw no such feature. It's not clear that
> we would want to use one if it existed. The days of 80-column everything
> are gone.
>
> IMHP, this should be automatically handled, and I often don't look too far
>> into posts that are not line-wrapped online because it's tough to read and
>> retain.
>>

> Yeah, but I would look to my mail client to configure mail the way I want
> to send it and see it, not a mail server to configure how everybody has to
> see it. With all due respect, I have long wondered why your email workflow
> is unable to reply to a thread correctly. :-) Perhaps it is time for an
> update!
>
> Cheers,
>
> Mark
>
> I guess this must have been discussed before, but I searched and didn;t
>> come up with anything.
>>
>> Thank you,
>> Chris.
>> --