[gmx-users] question about energygrps

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Sun May 12 19:00:54 CEST 2013

On 5/12/13 12:54 PM, Hyunjin Kim wrote:

>> On 5/12/13 2:25 AM, Hyunjin Kim wrote:
>>> Dear,
>>>
>>> I want to calculate LJ and Electrostatic energies between two groups
>>> defined in index.ndx during rerun with original trajectory.
>>>
>>> The following is what I tried:
>>>
>>> 1. insert "energygrps r_1 r_25" in the test.mdp file.
>>>
>>> 2. grompp -f test.mdp -c x.gro -o x.tpr -p x.top -n index.ndx
>>>
>>> 3. mdrun -nt 2 -rerun o.trr -s x.tpr -o x.trr -c x.gro -g x.log -e x.ene
>>>
>>> The simulation runs properly, but if I collect energy using g_energy,
>>> then
>>> values of all energy terms are same, although I choose different groups.
>>
>> Which specific groups did you choose?
>
> Thanks a lot. I chose residues 1 and 25.

I understood that from the original post.  What I was asking about was the exact
groups you chose from the g_energy selection menu.

>>> In log file, "energygrp-flags[  0]: 0".
>>> I think this means it calculate system energies instead of two specific
>>> groups I choose.
>>>

>> Some energy terms are decomposable, most are not.  There will be obvious
>> differences in group names in the g_energy output.
>>

> I thought nonbonded energy terms were supposed to be decomposable, since
> the two groups I selected are from one in solute and one in solvent. Am I
> wrong?

You will only get decomposed terms in the context of the interactions of those
residues.  Again, seeing the full g_energy selection menu would help us in
solving your problem.  Thus far, I can see no evidence that Gromacs has done
anything wrong, but I also haven't seen any diagnostic evidence of what you have
tried to do.  Please provide the details I have requested.

Research Scientist
jalemkul[at]vt.edu | (540) 231-9080