[gmx-users] question about energygrps

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Sun May 12 19:22:53 CEST 2013

On 5/12/13 1:14 PM, Hyunjin Kim wrote:

>>> Thanks a lot. I chose residues 1 and 25.
>>>

>> I understood that from the original post.  What I was asking about was the
>> exact
>> groups you chose from the g_energy selection menu.
>>

> When I use g_energy, I chose 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 from the below list. Thanks.
>
>    1  Bond             2  Angle            3  Ryckaert-Bell.   4  LJ-14
>    5  Coulomb-14       6  LJ-(SR)          7  Disper.-corr.    8  Coulomb-(SR)
>    9  Coul.-recip.    10  Potential       11  Kinetic-En.     12  Total-Energy

Dispersion correct, PME mesh (Coul-recip), and total potential are not
decomposable.  The other terms you selected should be.  The fact the these
options do not appear in the .edr file indicate either (1) you did not rerun
with the right .tpr file or (2) you analyzed the wrong .edr file.  The approach
you have suggested is correct and should result in the desired energy groups
being present.  What version of Gromacs are you using?

-Justin

>   13  Temperature     14  Pres.-DC        15  Pressure        16  Box-X
>   17  Box-Y           18  Box-Z           19  Volume          20  Density
>   21  pV              22  Enthalpy        23  Vir-XX          24  Vir-XY
>   25  Vir-XZ          26  Vir-YX          27  Vir-YY          28  Vir-YZ
>   29  Vir-ZX          30  Vir-ZY          31  Vir-ZZ          32  Pres-XX
>   33  Pres-XY         34  Pres-XZ         35  Pres-YX         36  Pres-YY
>   37  Pres-YZ         38  Pres-ZX         39  Pres-ZY         40  Pres-ZZ
>   41  #Surf*SurfTen   42  Box-Vel-XX      43  Box-Vel-YY      44  Box-Vel-ZZ
>   45  T-System

>>> I thought nonbonded energy terms were supposed to be decomposable, since
>>> the two groups I selected are from one in solute and one in solvent. Am
>>> wrong?
>>>

>> You will only get decomposed terms in the context of the interactions of
>> those
>> residues.  Again, seeing the full g_energy selection menu would help us in
>> solving your problem.  Thus far, I can see no evidence that Gromacs has
>> done
>> anything wrong, but I also haven't seen any diagnostic evidence of what
>> you have
>> tried to do.  Please provide the details I have requested.
>>
>> -Justin
>>
>> --
>>
>> Justin A. Lemkul, Ph.D.
>> Research Scientist