[gmx-users] Re: umbrella sampling

Thomas Schlesier schlesi at uni-mainz.de
Mon May 13 13:22:06 CEST 2013

Hi,
it seems that you've only coupled your protein to the thermostat, but
not the solvent, hence the error message.
Generally one would couple both domains of the protein to one thermostat
and the solvent (inluding ions) to another thermostat.

Side note: If you want to use the WHAM method for constructing the PMF
from the simulations, you need to use an harmonic potential instead of
constraints. This method is named 'umbrella sampling'.
Using constraints and integrating the constraint force to obtain the PMF
is called 'thermodynamic integration'.

Greetings
Thomas