[gmx-users] Calculating the distance between protein and ligand during ligand diffusion out of the box

bipin singh bipinelmat at gmail.com
Tue Oct 8 07:07:36 CEST 2013

Thanks for the reply Dr. Trayder and Dr. Justin.

I have performed unrestrained MD with a ligand bound protein having surface
exposed binding pocket (link of the image attached for clarification). I
have used a cubic box with vectors 6.432nm and the system size was 4.117
3.878 and 4.059 (in nm).

http://researchweb.iiit.ac.in/~bipin.singh/snapshot.png

My doubt is how to discriminate between a real ligand binding/unbinding
process and the rebinding observed due to PBC effects (i.e. when ligand
diffuses out the box and a subsequent another ligand comes and bind from
the adjacent periodic image, which may seen as a rebinding event during
distance calculation).