[gmx-users] Question about installing DSSP on Ubuntu 12.10

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Oct 8 14:01:50 CEST 2013

On 10/8/13 7:28 AM, Mass wrote:
>   I am trying to install "DSSP" in Ubuntu 12.10, I just download it from Ubuntu software centre but when I run it I am getting the following error, any solution? I have checked all the mail list archive and could not solve my problem
> Fatal error:
> Failed to execute command: /usr/local/bin/dssp -na ddZGP3ET ddjex0J9 > /dev/null 2> /dev/null

You probably need to set -ver appropriately in your do_dssp command.

> I google it and found this on ubuntu forum but I followed it and still I am getting error
> up vote
> 0
> down vote
> accept DSSP is not in official ubuntu repositories, but you can install it manually:
> sudo wget ftp://ftp.cmbi.ru.nl/pub/software/dssp/dssp-2.0.4-linux-amd64 -O /usr/local/bin/dssp
> or
> sudo wget ftp://ftp.cmbi.ru.nl/pub/software/dssp/dssp-2.0.4-linux-i386 -O /usr/local/bin/dssp
> And for the end:
> sudo chmod a+x /usr/local/bin/dssp
>
>    I have done this but still I am getting Fatal error: DSSP executable (/opt/dssp/bin/dssp) does not exist (use setenv DSSP) –

If you have set the $DSSP environment variable to point to /opt/dssp/bin/dssp,
then you should get a fatal error, because based on the above commands, your
dssp is in /usr/local/bin/dssp, which is the default location where do_dssp
looks for it.  If $DSSP is set, it overrides the default, which in your case is
causing problems.

>   Also appreciate if any one can give simple and step-by step instruction to insall dssp-2.2.1 from website. I mean after downloading dssp-2.2.1.tgz and extracting it what should I do? –

Unzip the archive, compile from source if you are downloading source (ignore if
you are downloading a binary), move the binary wherever you want it, set $DSSP
only if you are not putting it in /usr/local/bin.

Postdoctoral Fellow

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy
Health Sciences Facility II, Room 601