[gmx-users] No group in index file?

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu Oct 31 21:26:24 CET 2013

On 10/31/13 4:22 PM, Xu Dong Huang wrote:
> @ Justin,
>
> That doesn’t sound very good. I tried it as he suggested using make_ndx, it
> seems to work, but it’s not reporting the result I want. When I use g_angle
> using the index i created, I chose the group I want to assess (My compound is
> very simple in Martini, it’s only represented by 3 atoms) and it reports back
> to me 1 angle value. However, I wish to assess the angle between atom 1 & 2,
> 2&3 and 1&3. How should I go about achieving that?

If you have 3 atoms/particles, there can be only one angle, by definition.

Do you have an [angles] directive in the topology?  That's how mk_angndx parses
the .tpr file - by creating groups of similar angles based on theta and ktheta.
  If your model doesn't specify any angle potential, then mk_angndx will bail
out and return nothing, though it should probably do that in a more elegant way
than producing an empty file.

Postdoctoral Fellow

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy