[gmx-users] RE: average pressure of a system

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Fri Sep 13 04:31:02 CEST 2013

On 9/12/13 6:37 PM, Dwey Kauffman wrote:
> [...]
>>> Energy                      Average   Err.Est.       RMSD  Tot-Drift
>>> --------
>>> Pressure                    2.39911        2.2    185.708     6.8189
>>> (bar)
>>>
>>> ##############################
>>>
>>> It is clear that when tau_p =1.0,  average pressure of the system
>>> (=0.89
>>> bar) is close to ref_p =1.0 bar
>>> However, it is unclear to me as to how to assign a good value to tau_p
>>> in
>>> order to reach at a close value of ref_p. As shown above, both of the
>>> average pressures  as  tau_p =1.5 and 0.5 are much higher than that as
>>> tau_p
>>> =1.0.  A smaller tau_p may or may not help.
>> As has been mentioned a number of times 0.9 +- 190 and 2.3 +- 190 are not
>> statistically different.  If you use that in a publication then any
>> conclusions based on that will be rejected.
>
> Statistically, I understood the indistinguishable difference between the
> resulted average pressures. Here, I altered tau_p values to determine if
> tau_p helps stabilize a desired value of average pressure.
>

>> To demonstrate to yourself how variable the pressure is, the tau_p=1 run,
>> run the pressure analysis again using g_analyze, but using only the first
>> half and the last half of the trajectory.  You will find that the average
>> values for both parts of the trajectory are not the same.
>>

> Thank you for the suggestion of applying g_analyze to trajectory.
>
>>> Another issue caused by system pressure  is about pbc box size. Since I
>>> use
>>> pressure coupling, the box size is not fixed such that protein moved
>>> away
>>> the center of membrane for a long simulation like 30 ns. Box size
>>
>> That is not due to the pressure coupling.
>
> The changed box-size is problematic  because I see that molecules are split.
> During NPT process, the box of dimensions (7.12158   7.14945   9.00000)
> changed over time to the end  at that of dimensions ( 6.43804   6.46323
> 8.28666).    This is because of pressure coupling. See noted also
> http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/Errors#The_cut-off_length_is_longer_than_half_the_shortest_box_vector_or_longer_than_the_smallest_box_diagonal_element._Increase_the_box_size_or_decrease_rlist
>

>> Motion of the protein within the
>> box is simply due to diffusion etc.  Also remember, that you have in
>> effect
>> an infinite repeating box in all directions, so the "center" of the box is
>> arbitrary.
>
> If so, how to make a membrane protein relatively fixed (embedded) in bilayer
> wthout escaping away during simulation ?      In fact, this membrane has
> been embedded in membrane by g_membed.  Due to  diffusion ?? the protein
> moved away from bilayer and escaped toward extracellular space.
>
> Is there a way to fix it
> or only allow this protein diffusing in xy plane instead of z direction ?

It sounds like you need more thorough equilibration, likely with some
combination of restraints for a period of time.  If the protein drifts out of
the membrane, that suggests that the initial forces were fairly high (though not
so high as to cause a crash), thus ejecting the protein from the membrane.

-Justin

>> If you want the protein to remain in the center for
>> visualisation purposes, then you do post processing on the box using
>> trjconv.
>>
> Thanks, but this dose not change the fact that protein moved away bilayer
> during a long simulation.
>
>>> changes
>>> significantly during production MD. Is there a way to fix the box size
>>> at
>>> the very beginning ? although turning off pressure coupling will make
>>> box
>>> size fixed.
>>
>> If you want fixed box dimensions / volume then you perform NVT.  But that
>> will not help with either issues above.
>>
> Right.  The box of dimensions remains unchanged if pressure coupling is
> removed in production MD. However, can it be justified in a system of
> membrane protein ?   because the purpose of pressure coupling is to
> stabilize the pressure and density.  For example, for 10 ns simulation, the
> average pressure of this system is -5.55 bar, which is less convincing.
>
> Energy                      Average   Err.Est.       RMSD  Tot-Drift
> Pressure                   -5.55572        2.6    155.552   0.846162  (bar)
>

> Thanks.
> Dwey
>
>> The problem here is you are trying to make comparisons in the behaviour of
>> simulations where there will not be a statistically significant difference
>> in the property you are adjusting.  Any differences you observe are more
>> than likely going to be due to chance, rather than pressure.
>>
>> Catch ya,
>>
>> Dr. Dallas Warren
>> Drug Delivery, Disposition and Dynamics
>> Monash Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Monash University
>> 381 Royal Parade, Parkville VIC 3052
>> [hidden email]
>> +61 3 9903 9304
>> * Please search the archive at
>> www interface or send it to [hidden email].

>> NAML

Postdoctoral Fellow

Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
School of Pharmacy