[gmx-users] MD simulations on a remote workstation

Amjad Farooq amjad at farooqlab.net
Wed Apr 2 19:14:44 CEST 2014

Hi everyone,

I am running Gromacs 5.0-beta on a remote workstation (next door) from my
PC. The two machines are networked via 1-Gigabit PCI-E ethernet cards (on
each machine) and a CAT-6 ethernet cable.

My question is:
Would my MD simulations benefit in terms of speed if I were to use
10-Gigabit PCI-E ethernet cards (they are damn expensive)? Is it worth my
dime and time? How much would I gain in terms of speed? Halve the run time?
Or even better?

Thank you for any suggestions that you may have.

Amjad Farooq